Food Snob Chronicles – The 2014 Ballpark Food Tour: Miami

While it’s never a bad time to catch a baseball game, May has always been my favorite month for heading to the ballpark. I’ve even risked life and limb to attend a May game.  If you hate hot and sticky weather and you live in greater Miami — Go. Now.

The Miami card. Collect the whole set!

The Miami card. Collect the whole set!

Sure, Marlins Park has a retractable roof, but neither it nor the stadium’s Jolly Green Giant color scheme are sufficient for warding off the barely-breathable air in July and August. Besides, I suspect the Marlins will be so far out of contention in August, that you’ll be surrounded by hecklers and large groups taking advantage of last-place discounts.

The Miami Marlins Shrimp Burger

There is no shortage of good ballpark food at Miami’s Major League home, but the Miami Marlins Shrimp Burger edges out the Meatball Marinara Fries and Seafood Fritters in popularity. It’s noteworthy that the shrimp burger hawkers are quick to point out that they use two types of shrimp and locally-grown tomatoes. Good for them and the planet, although I challenge anyone to tell me the true taste difference between spot prawns and white shrimp — when combined with spices, grilled and served on a bun with toppings. Still, hurray for the vendors’ marketing efforts in trying to sell their $12 sandwich.

Want to receive notifications of my Confessions and Chronicles in your email? Just click here. I’d also love for you to join me on Facebook (click the ‘like’ button), Pinterest and Google+.

Miami Marlins Shrimp Burger
(The Unorthodox Epicure version)

Shrimp Burgers — If you like shrimp, you'll love it. It feels really guilty.

Shrimp Burgers — If you like shrimp, you’ll love these. And it feels really guilty.

1 lb – Raw shrimp, peeled entirely & deveined
1/2 cup – Fresh bread crumbs
3 TB – Roasted red (sweet) peppers, finely diced
2 TB – Green onions, chopped
2 TB – Mayonnaise
1 TB – Parsley, minced (optional)
Zest from 1 Lime
About 1 tsp – Old Bay Seasoning

All-purpose flour, for dredging
About 3-4 TB – Vegetable oil (for griddle cooking)

In a food processor, pulse shrimp, Old Bay and Lime zest until a course mixture results — about 5 pulses. Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise, green onions and peppers in a large bowl. Top mayonnaise mixture with shrimp, then bread crumbs. Mix with a spatula or by hand until everything is combined.

Divide shrimp mixture into four portions (floured hands make this part easier) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten slightly into patties. Place in freezer for about 30 minutes.

Preheat griddle (350F) and douse a little oil to prevent patties from sticking. Dredge each patty in flour and place on preheated cooking surface. Brown on each side (usually takes about 4-5 minutes per side).

Serve on a toasted roll with lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce — or Real Rémoulade.

Comments

1. While I dare say I wouldn’t risk life and limb to go to Miami, I might to eat this burger! Yum!

• adamjholland says:

The last time I was in Miami was to board a cruise ship. Fortunately, it was in November and not summer time. :-)

2. That’s a might fine looking Shrimp Burger you got there, Chief. I think baseball stadiums generally have better fare than football stadiums.

• adamjholland says:

Thanks, Jackie. No doubt that baseball food is the best out there … unless you count polo matches. But, for all the polo matches I’ve attended, it was always in a domestic capacity. ;-)

3. Yee haw, yummi! I absolutely could have used that leftover cooked shrimp I had the other night to make these. Looks like one heckuva good dinner!

• adamjholland says:

Thanks, Becca. I’ve never started out with cooked shrimp on a recipe like this, but I suppose it would be good. :-)

4. Somehow you’ve stopped showing up in my Facebook feed to I had to seek you out because I suddenly realized I wasn’t getting my Adam fix. What a great recipe upon which to refind you. I’m loving everything about the sandwich, even the fact that you didn’t use spot prawns and white shrimp. :D

• adamjholland says:

Thank you Christiane! Facebook is very wishy washy these days. It seems that the folks at Google+ have social media goals that are more in line with the average person. It is my prayer that millions of people eventually realize this and make the switch. ~ I need to get my ‘Taking on Magazines’ fix too. I miss our coffee talks. :-)

5. A shrimp burger, love it! It almost looks like a crab cake sitting there waiting for someone to chomp into it. You know I’m not a big baseball fan. But I’m loving your park tours. Will we be seeing Fenway? Could have given you a couple free tickets to the Sox game a week ago. My husband’s company has a couple boxes and he was offered 2 tickets. Alas, the dilemma was that it was the day of my surgery. Tough one since he was thinking how Fenway Park really is just down the street from the hospital and well, I’d be out of it that night anyway…. The man’s no fool though and did let the tickets go although in all honesty, it wouldn’t have bothered me in the least if he went to the game.

• adamjholland says:

Could your husband’s company send me a train ticket too? ;-) Hope all is well (or at least better) for you Diane. I appreciate your kind words.

• Hmmm, would you be in the market for huge computer storage devices? They’d not only do a train ticket but you’d get better than ballpark fare.

6. Griffin says:

Man does that look tasty. Can I get mine with your remoulade on it? Bet that would make it even better.

7. I do a mean shrimp burger myself Adam, but this one could very well replace my usual recipe. Keep up the great and inspiring work my friend.