A quick jaunt around the loop of my RV park reveals a few telling details to those who are paying attention. But the most glaring particular is the one lot that doesn’t have a satellite receiver dish occupying a swath’s worth of real estate.
Come February 7, I envision many of my neighbors watching commercials throughout the day as they lie in wait for the big game. The smell of burning charcoal and sound of popping tops will fill the nearby air, and the dumpster will undoubtedly overflow with Bud Light packaging.
Many of my neighbors, as they drive to their jobs the following morning, will lament the coming months during which no professional footballers will take a snap or make a tackle. I, on the other hand, will be giddy about coming out of horsehide hibernation, as pitchers and catchers will report to spring training in the weeks that follow.
And that might be the only display worthy of planting a tacky grey parabala outside the Jimmy Rockford.
Want to receive notifications of my Confessions, Chronicles and recipes in your email? Just click here. I’d also love for you to join me on Facebook (click the ‘like’ button), Pinterest and Google+. Why not witness some of my Instagram antics too?
- 1 cup – Giardiniera mix (cauliflower, carrot, celery & pepperoncini), chopped
- ½ cup – Roasted red sweet peppers, chopped
- ½ cup – Pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- ½ cup – Pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 – Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TB – Capers
- 1 TB – Red wine vinegar
- 1 TB – Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp – Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp – Celery seed
- 2 oz – Cotto Salami, thinly sliced
- 2 oz – Black Forest Ham, thinly sliced
- 4 slices – Mozzarella
- 4 slices – Smoked Provolone
- 2 – Ciabatta sandwich rolls, split
- In a medium bowl, combine first 10 ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least an hour (but preferably 3-4 hours).
- Spoon about 2 TB of the olive salad on the bottom half of the sandwich rolls.
- Layer with two slices of Mozzarella, half of the BuddigTM Original Cotto Salami, 2 slices of smoked Provolone, then half of the BuddigTM Original Black Forest Ham.
- Top with another 2 TB of the olive salad, then add top half of the sandwich rolls.
- Cut each sandwich diagonally into four pieces.