The RV Chronicles — How Southern am I? Well, let me tell you!

You know her as Shea Goldstein of Dixie Chik Cooks. I know her as the person who lives 4 latitudinal degrees north of me and still has the audacity to claim that she’s more Southern.

Perhaps my 16 readers will help settle the score.

Around these parts, we still have majorettes, bright red lipstick and more honky tonks than you can shake a stick at.  Shea’s state has a football team that was named for a game played in the mud a century ago. How Southern is that?

Her state claims Nat King Cole, Helen Keller and Willie Mays … All fine folks, but not nearly as Southern as Barbara Mandrell, Red Adair or former Rep. Charlie Wilson.  And Lynyrd Skynyrd — a Florida band — only sang about Shea’s home. At least ZZ Top keeps it real down here.

The food is most telling though. In the Yellowhammer State, folks eat country fried steaks. Around here, we eat chicken fried steak. Which sounds more Southern? The one that shares a name with the Dairy Queen menu item? Or the one that conjures up images of Daisy May ‘Granny’ Moses standing over her cast iron skillet?

If you’re still torn on who’s more Southern, just know that Shea lives in a modern brick home with too much square footage to count. As for my home? It has wheels.

All kidding aside, Shea can cook for me any time. She’s true to her Southern roots and is a diva in the kitchen. Check out her delicious BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Fried Green Tomato and Bacon Pimento Cheese. It might just be the poster recipe for National Southern Food Day (Jan. 22). Still, any Southern that comes from my kitchen must be chicken fried. Check out her recipe, then take a good long look at mine.

Who’s more Southern? You decide.

Dixie Chik Cooks’ BBQ Chicken Sandwich with Fried Green Tomato and Bacon Pimento Cheese

Want to receive notifications of my Confessions, Chronicles and recipes in your email? Just click here. I’d also love for you to join me on Facebook (click the ‘like’ button), Pinterest and Google+. Why not witness some of my Instagram antics too?

Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich

Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich — the real reason for the ‘When I die I want to go to Texas’ decal.

5.0 from 2 reviews
Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich
Recipe type: Sandwich
Cuisine: Southern
Serves: 6
  • 1 recipe – Chicken fried steak
  • 12 slices – Texas toast, or your favorite sandwich roll
  • 6 TB – Melted butter
  • 1½ cups – Shredded lettuce
  • 1 – Large tomato, sliced thinly
  • Mayonnaise
  1. Make the chicken fried steak.
  2. While steak is keeping warm in the oven, brush one side of each bread slice with melted butter; broil until golden brown, about 1 minute.
  3. Place ¼ cup of lettuce on bread slice; add chicken fried steak; add bread slice.
  4. Dress with mayonnaise.
  5. One bite and you'll know why some people sport the 'When I die I want to go to Texas' bumper sticker.

1. Sorry dude. As I told Shea, ‘Bama joined the union in the 18-teens. Ya’ll were just given statehood decades later. I think she gets it on longevity. That being said, I’d probably change my mind if I could eat one of those sandwiches. :)

• adamjholland says:

We aren’t talking about the Union, Christiane! Left up to the Union, we’d all be eating country fried steak. Shame, shame. Confidential: I’ll hook you up with a sandwich if you’ll change your vote. ;-)

2. I might order Shea’s sandwich at a restaurant – sounds good, just too much to make! Yours on the other hand I would make and eat! It is hard to say though which is more southern! I don’t think yours is Southwestern though as Shea has deemed it!

• adamjholland says:

I’m glad you pointed that out, Connie. My guess is: Shea cheated in geography class. Not only is Houston south of Helena, AL, the ‘west’ doesn’t begin until Ft. Worth. There are two time zones here and our state is larger in area than most countries. I swear, the “Bayou City” is considered southern.

3. We just had Chicken Fried Steak sandwiches Sunday night for supper. Both Sandwiches make me think “southern” yours for the CFS and hers for the addition of pimento cheese!

I have no doubt that you are both very southern – just like me – but do you know how many people think that Oklahoma is not southern? They are very wrong, because I’m a GRITS girl (Girl Raised In The South) through and through!

• adamjholland says:

Thank you, Kelli. And Oklahoma might not be as Southern as Houston, but you’re OK in my book. ;-) (Sorry. Couldn’t resist!)

4. I love Shea’s cooking and blog, but I have to say that your sandwich was the one that got me hungry! I love me some chicken fried steak!

• adamjholland says:

I love Shea’s blog too (and Shea, herself). But when you’re right, Kim, you’re right. Since you’re a low carb advocate and I’m a diabetic, neither one of us is allowed to have either creation though. Well… Maybe we can if we keep it secret. ;-)

5. Well hot damn, Adam. Yours has Texas toast and hers has pimento cheese. How’s a girl to choose? Y’all will just have to fly on up here and give me a rootin’ tootin’ taste.

• adamjholland says:

Heck, Abbe. Seems like you were in my neck of the woods not long ago. I could’ve met you at the Buccee’s and sent you on your way. ;-)

6. Kathryn @ anotherfoodieblogger says:

Well if’n I had to choose, I’d go with CFS all the way. Sorry Shea. ;)

• adamjholland says:

Don’t be sorry, Kathryn. One of these years, I’m going to challenge Shea to post a video of her actually eating one of her creations. They’re beautiful and delicious, but how in the hell does a human take a bite of such a tall sandwich? ;-)

7. Ugghhh I want to be for you, I really do, but when we’re singing, “Deep in the heart of Dixie” NOBODY is thinking Texas. hahaha I got to go with my fellow Alabamian as the most southern. When it comes to the sandwiches though, I’d smash that “Country” Fried Steak Sandwich in a heartbeat!

8. The clear winner here is your CHICKEN FRIED steak sandwich. When I saw the Texas toast, I thought hands down that is it. Just happened upon this googling chicken fried sandwich (I’m pregnant and I’m craving bad), and I thought I’d put my two cents in. Texan til I die!

• adamjholland says:

Thank you, Gwen. :-) I’m guessing that you don’t live in Texas, since you’re Googling chicken fried steak recipes? Good luck to you and may you satisfy all of your cravings.