My Instagram followers see a little more than the 20 of you who come here on a regular basis.
It’s not that I’m trying to hide anything from you, rather I’ve just not figured out a … presentable way to show you random pictures of me frying okra or drinking Scotch. And maybe that’s a good thing.
Truth is, I cheat once in a while — at the table and the bar.
But we mostly cook and eat in such a way that would make Jack Lalane or Charles Atlas proud. OK, maybe not proud. But we definitely eat better than my Instagram might imply.
This recipe is fairly simple. Just a few ingredients and a hot oven. It’s delicious though, particularly because everything is in season. Catherine and I noshed on the (pictured) dish on the ‘deck’ of the Jimmy Rockford. It was a blissful meal indeed.
Want to receive notifications of my Confessions, Chronicles and recipes in your email? Just click here. I’d also love for you to join me on Facebook (click the ‘like’ button), Pinterest and Google+. Why not witness some of my Instagram antics too?
Buttery Roasted Shrimp & Asparagus
- 1 lb – Jumbo (16-20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb – Fresh asparagus, woody ends removed
- 3 – Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TB – Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB – Butter, divided into 4 pats
- 3 tsp – Kosher salt
- 2 tsp – Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp – Lemon zest
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine shrimp, black pepper, 1 teaspoon (each) of the Kosher salt and lemon zest, and garlic; then
- add 1 TB olive oil and mix well; set aside.
- Toss asparagus in 1 TB olive oil; then toss with 2 teaspoons Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon of the remaining lemon zest.
- Spread asparagus on a large baking pan and roast for 10 minutes, flipping/turning at the halfway point.
- After roasting asparagus, move them to one side of the pan.
- Add shrimp to other side of the pan; top with lemon juice then pats of butter.
- Place pan back in oven and roast until shrimp are opaque, about 5 minutes, turning once.
- Serve immediately.